Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sugarfree Bliss

This Lent I gave up sugar. Simple right? NO! I have entered an abusive relationship with coffee where I both hate it and need it at the same time. 

This is how I know I gave up the right thing: my sugar craving is something that I can distract myself from with honey or fruit but it never really goes away. This is exactly how my craving for God should be. As Thomas Watson said in The Art of Divine Contentment "Better a fever than a lethargy". I would rather live with an incurable fever and longing for my Heavenly Father than distracted by the fleeting pleasures of this world, sugar included.

Original recipe credit to Practical Paleo blog http://practicalpaleo.blogspot.com/2011/06/primal-fudge.html

What you'll need (sorry no picture this time)
1 cup Coconut Oil (about half a jar)
1 cup Hershey's Dark Cocoa
1 cup Natural Peanut butter
1/2 cup Honey

Getting the coconut oil out of the jar is harder than you'd think. It comes in a solid form and you'll have to scrape it out with a strong spoon. Put the oil in a sauce pan and warm over Medium heat. The oil will melt into a clear liquid.


Add your peanut butter and honey. Once everything has melted together add the cocoa and stir until uniform.


Pour everything into a candy mold. I got my soft mold pan at Michael's. I haven't needed to grease my mold pan but you can if you want. Make sure you put a cookie sheet underneath though otherwise you'll never get it in the fridge.


Let it cool in the fridge for about a half hour then just pop your candies out of their molds. I kept my finished products in a Tupperware container separated by wax paper.


I've made batches with craisins and nuts. You can really add whatever you want. 

Love love love this recipe. The only reason I don't have batches and batches laying around is because I ran out of coconut oil. 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment