Sunday, March 8, 2015

Skinny Chicken Alfredo and Self-Descriptions

I love how God describes himself in scripture. You can read through any book of the Bible and before too long you run into a self-description of the author. It's almost as if God enjoys reminding us just who is speaking to us as we study His word. Here is a fantastic description I came across in my readings this past week. Isaiah 42 begins with by describing the coming Messiah. Then the Lord speaks to emphasize just what a good, loving and holy God He is. There is a message of a coming savior then a description of the saving God. 

Isaiah 42:5-9
"
Thus says God, the Lord, 
who created the heavens and stretched them out, 
who spread out the earth and what comes from it, 
who gives breath to the people on it
and spirit to those who walk in it: 
'I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness; 
I will take you by the hand and keep you; 
I will give you as a covenant for the people, 
a light for the nations, 
to open the eyes that are blind, 
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, 
from the prison those who sit in darkness. 
I am the Lord; that is my name; 
my glory I give to no other, 
nor my praise to carved idols. 
Behold, the former things have come to pass, 
and new things I now declare; 
before they spring forth 
I tell you of them.'"

Original recipe credit to Yummy Healthy Easy page by BlogHer http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2014/04/skinny-chicken-broccoli-casserole.html#_a5y_p=2073913

What you'll need:
2 Chicken breasts, cubed
1 bag frozen Broccoli cuts
1/2 Onion (or one whole small onion) diced
1 Tbs Olive Oil
3/4 cup Plain or Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Lite Mayo
1 1/2 cup Milk
3 Tbs Flour
Salt & Pepper to taste



You'll want to start by steaming your broccoli or just microwaving it to make sure it's thawed.


I started cooking my dish in a pan but it was not deep enough to accommodate all the liquid so I had to move everything to a pot half way through. You can make everything in a pot or high-sided pan if you have one. 

Preheat your oven to 350 F. 

On the stove top, cook your onion in your oil until the onions are translucent.



Next add your chicken to the onions and cook over medium-high heat until you are no longer in danger of food poisoning.




Toss the chicken and onions with the flour until a clumpy coating starts to form (about one minute). Stir continuously to make sure nothing burns.




Add your milk, bring to a boil and stir for three minutes. The liquid will thicken up.





Drop the broccoli in your pot and heat through.



Pour in your mayo, yogurt and seasonings and mix everything together.




Pour the contents of your pan into a 2 qt or 8 inch square baking dish. Cover with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.



In the mean time, cook up whatever you want to serve your Alfredo on. I did not have pasta on hand so I made some brown rice.


Once your 20 minutes are up dish up your Alfredo and enjoy a the knowledge that it's less than 300 calories a serving.




This recipe was different. I could definitely taste the mayo. Next time I might leave that out and replace it with more yogurt. Also I think diced tomatoes and/or roasted red peppers might go well with the overall taste of the dish. There was nothing that I disliked about this recipe but there are a few things I would change. On the other hand it was fairly easy and much healthier than most Alfredo sauces. 4 stars 


No comments:

Post a Comment