Friday, September 4, 2015

A Few Coins and the Perfect Autumn Meal

A fair few of these posts have dealt with contentment and humility. This one will follow suite I'm afraid (are you sensing a pattern?).

One of the characters of scripture that I find hard to live up to isn't a character at all. He's more of a lesson than anything else. I am filled with conflicting emotions every time I read the Parable of the Talents in Mathew 25:14-29. Here three servants are given stewardship of certain amounts of money by their master. Later their master judges them according to how they made use of his money and their time while he's away.

Whenever a sermon is preached or a lesson is written on this passage it is always the first and third servants who take center stage. Servant #1 was entrusted with the largest number of talents (money) by his master and, using what he was given to the best of his ability, he was able to double his master's money. Servant #3 was given only one talent to make use of but chooses instead to hide what he was given. This servant is chastised for his faithlessness and his poor stewardship by his master. Servant #3 is cast out of the household while his one talent is given over to Servant #1. Here is where the application point of any speaker or author will come in: compare the two servants and see which you identify with. If Servant #1 continue in your stewardship of what God has entrusted to you. If Servant #3 wake up and get to work, God did not entrust a talent to you for nothing. Valid lessons.

However it is neither of these two extremes that I identify with; rather my attention is always drawn back to the second servant. Servant #2 is given two talents to do with what he will for the glory of his master. For those of you mathematically challenged 2 is less than 5 but more than 1. What is Servant #2 supposed to infer from this amount of money placed in is care? Does the master not trust his as much as Servant #1? Why did they not all start out with the same amount, an equal playing field if you will? Even after he is able to turn a profit with his talents, after all his efforts he has only 4 talents total to offer back.

Final count
Servant #1 : 11 Talents
Servant #2 : 4 Talents
Servant #3 : 0 Talents

Why do I get stuck on this obscure point of an obvious lesson? Perhaps it is because the obvious lesson is obvious. What I am searching for is the lesson between the lines.

At times it is so hard to look at my two talents and say "I can manage this for the Master." Two talents is a lot to manage! I'm sure it's not nearly as stressful as having to take care of five but it's certainly a handful. How might I skillfully take these coins into the world so that they might increase? Will the Master be satisfied with how I go about this business? If I can't even manager two how do I ever expect to be put in charge of five?

On the other hand it is equally difficult to hold out my four talents and say "It's not eleven but it is enough". Certainly it is an increase in revenue but when placed on the table next to the other pile of talents it looks pitiful. I hope He is not too disappointed that I only brought back this amount. Perhaps if I had done x, y and z differently I would have more to offer.

Unlike me, Servant #2 holds neither of these points of anxiety. After being handed his portion he immediately set out to put what he has been given to work and, when his master returns, he steps forward with the same boldness as Servant #1. "And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’" Interestingly enough he is given the same praise and reward as Servant #1. "His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’"

The master knew each of his servants well enough to know how much they could manage in order to turn a profit. "To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability." I find great comfort in how well the Master knows me (more about that in the next post). He has decreed that this is the amount of talents I can manage well and never gave me leave to compare my coins with anyone else's.

Mathew 25:14-29
“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away."

I don't know about you but I'm off to the market place.


Original Recipe credit to My Crossfit Paleo Journey blog

https://mycrossfitpaleojourney.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/crockpot-honey-apple-pork-loin/

Tips to help you use your crock pot 

http://www.crockpoteurope.com/CustomerService.aspx?id=faq&fgid=541

What You'll Need:

Crock pot
1 Pork Loin 2 1/2 - 3 Lbs 
3 Gala Apples
Honey
Cinnamon
Water
Apple Cider Vinegar

Slice your apples thinly and evenly. I found that an apple slicer made the pieces I needed for in the pork too thick so you might want to save time and do it all by hand. Pour an even 1:1 mixture of water and vinegar in the bottom of your crock pot. Use enough to cover the bottom. With the slices from one apple make a bed for the pork in the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle cinnamon over what's in the pot so far.



With a sharp knife make horizontal cuts half way through your pork. Careful to leave enough room for your apple slices but don't cut the whole way through. Next pour some honey over the pork so it finds its way into the crevices you just made then fill in each cut with an apple slice. Place the pork on top of the apples in the pot. Top with any left over apple pieces and add as much cinnamon and extra honey as you'd like. 



Cook on low for about 6 hours. Mine was done faster but the original recipe called for 7 hours. I would recommend checking it around 5 hours and don't worry about overcooking it. With all the liquid at the bottom your meat is guaranteed to not dry out (though it may fall apart). 



This pork goes well with mashed potatoes, stuffing or nearly any other Autumn comfort food you can think of. It's wonderful fresh but I found that it's just as good leftover and/or cold later on. I'm absolutely in love with this recipe and can't wait for an excuse to make it again. 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment