Friday, January 23, 2015

Spinach Pasta and Promises

I noticed that this is the third pasta recipe in a row. Sorry, I guess I like carbs. Next week's recipe will be more exciting.

In thinking about the future I get very anxious. By "future" I wish I meant 5-10 years from now, but what I really mean is next month, this summer and the abyss of time that exists under the label 2015. At times taking a step, any step, forward is a petrifying thought. Not because I want to remain where I am but because I live in fear of stepping onto the wrong path and being carried away by the current of life instead of walking up the path meant for me. I know that this is nonsense and God will direct my steps on the path that is laid before me. However, like many things in the faith I know this but believing it and living like I believe it are different matters entirely. I mentioned dancing on the void in my first post but what went unsaid is how terrifying staring into the void is. My goodness, even admitting that there is a void takes a certain degree of boldness and confidence that is not commonplace. The only advice worth anything that I can give you if you feel lost, devoid of purpose or just bored is this: go to the scriptures. Reading the Word and reflecting on the truths and promises therein provides the only unshakable confidence in existence. 

Here are the promises that have given me hope and strength this week:

Isaiah 41:9-10
"You whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, 'You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off'; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Hebrews 10:35-39
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. For, 'Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.' But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls."

We are not those who shrink back but those who have faith

Original recipe credit to My Life Well Loved blog http://mylifewellloved.com/chicken-spinach-pasta-bake/  The original recipe used chicken instead of meatballs but I had my fill of chicken this week so I mixed things up a bit. 

Also just a note: when I say 1-2 of something I mean you can use either 1 or 2 of this item. In making the dish I most likely used just 1 but I can see how 2 might be beneficial.

What you'll need:
1 box Pasta of your choice (I used whole grain Penne pasta)
1-2 14oz can diced Tomatoes
2 10oz packets of frozen Spinach (thawed)
1/4 Onion, diced
1-2 8oz container Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
1 bag frozen Italian Style Meatballs (thawed)
1 8oz bag Mozzarella Cheese

You'll want a deep dish to bake your finished product in.


The original recipe suggested cooking the onion in a way I had never tried before. Pour 1-2 Tbs of oil into the dish you plan to cook the finished product in, mix the onions thoroughly in with the oil and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. If you would rather cook your onions in a pan on the stove top feel free but I tried this method and it worked well. Also this saves you from having to dirty another dish.

Boil and drain your pasta. While it is still hot mix the noodles in with the cream cheese. This will melt down the cream cheese and make it easier to combine with the rest of the indigence. Be sure not the drain the tomatoes but use the juice along with the tomato pieces. However you should try to drain as much of the spinach juice off of the thawed spinach as you can. 

The next part is easy: mix everything together. 

That's it. Cover your dish with cheese and foil. Bake first at 375 for 30 minutes then again uncovered for another 15 minutes.


Enjoy with a few sprinkles of garlic salt or Parmesan cheese.


This recipe was an all inclusive meal: carbs, vegetables and meat. The cream cheese was a gamble but it paid off. This complete meal was delicious and I see how it would be good with chicken as well. I give this one 5 stars.

Stay tuned this weekend to check out a sweet bonus recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment